She transitioned full time in 2004. She announced her change to a large family gathering that had intended to arrange a bride for her. They threw her out and she worked for a while in a call centre teaching US pronunciation and idioms. In 2007 she won a widely televised transgender beauty contest and in 2008 using the name of Rose became host of a television program Ippadikku Rose on Vijay TV (owned by Murdoch's Fox International).
She had surgery in March, 2010 in Bangkok with Dr Thep Vechavisit.
In 2012 she attempted to found a Sexual Liberation Party.
She had a part in the film Vaaimai as a trans district collector. However when director Senthil Kumar unexpectedly announced an extended shooting to 10pm, Rose explained that she was expected at the Chennai US Embassy that evening and left. Two assistants attacked her car on the road in a dangerous fashion.
She has since directed a film about match-fixing in cricket, with a team captain who falls for a trans women.
- Amelia Gentleman. “Tackling a Society’s Boundaries, on TV and in a Family”. The New York Times Feb 20, 2008. www.nytimes.com/2008/02/20/world/asia/20chennai.html.
- Stephanie Nolen. “A transgender star sparkles in India's TV firmament”. The Globe and Mail. Jul 23, 2009. www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/a-transgender-star-sparkles-in-indias-tv-firmament/article1227755.
- "1st transgender TV host Rose is now a woman". The Times of India, May 2, 2010. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-05-02/chennai/28307287_1_woman-constable-reassignment-surgery-vijay-tv.
- Naveen. "India’s first transgender Director, Rose Venkatesan Exclusive Intreview". Kollywood, October 19, 2012. http://home.mykollywood.com/2012/10/19/indias-first-transgender-director-rose-venkatesan-exclusive-intreview.
- "Rose Venkatesan accuses harassment from director Senthil Kumar". Kolly Talk, July 6, 2013. www.kollytalk.com/cinenews/rose-venkatesan-accuses-harassment-from-director-senthil-kumar-101596.html.
Post a Comment
Comments that constitute non-relevant advertisements will be declined, as will those attempting to be rude. Comments from 'unknown' and anonymous will also be declined. Repeat: Comments from "unknown" will be declined, as will anonymous comments. You may type in a name if you don't have a Google id.