Continued from Part 1.
++= something added later
2001Anne Lawrence gets PhD from the Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality at San Francisco.
Kenneth Zucker takes over Archives of Sexual Behavior.
Anne Lawrence contributes to the 6th version of HBIGDA SOC.
- Richard Ekins & Dave King. “Transgendering, Migrating and Love of Oneself as a Woman: A Contribution to a Sociology of Autogynephilia”. IJT 5,3, www.wpath.org/journal/www.iiav.nl/ezines/web/IJT/97-03/numbers/symposion/ijtvo05no03_01.htm.
Points out that autogynephilia in MTFs very similar to that in cis women. Use concept with ‘femaling’ modes. “In our judgement, our framework provides the conceptual wherewithal to unpack such issues in a way denied to the taxonomic, typological and diagnostic approach followed by Blanchard.”
2002The CAMH GIC was awarded a Presidential Citation from Div 44 of the American Psychological Association. Ray Blanchard accepted the award on behalf of CAMH
- Viviane K. Namaste. Invisible Lives: The Erasure of Transsexual and Transgendered People. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000. Again, neither Blanchard nor autogynephilia mentioned in discussion of CAMH GIC. Reviewed here.
- J. Michael Bailey. The Man Who Would Be Queen: the science of gender-bending and transsexualism. Washington: Joseph Henry; Oxford: Oxford Publicity Partnership. 256 pp 2003. The Joseph Henry imprint is part of the National Academies Press.
The National Academies Press page quotes Anne Lawrence describing Bailey’s book as "a wonderful book on an important subject", and Simon Levey that it is "Absolutely splendid". www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=10530.
Ray Blanchard and Anne Lawrence gave papers at the Third International Body Integrity Disorder Meeting in 2003 comparing BIID (apotemnophilia=desire to have a limb removed) to Gender identity disorder. See overview by Andrea James.
HBIGDA criticizes the Bailey book.
Ray Blanchard resigns from HBIGDA, calling its criticism ‘appalling’.
Maxine Petersen resigns from HBIGDA in support.
Maxine Petersen testifies at Ontario Human Rights Tribunal re restoring funding for SRS.
Andrea James and Lynn Conway set up web pages to alert trans women about Bailey’s book.
Anjelica Kieltyka complains about how she was represented in Bailey’s book.
Willow Arune and others start Autogynephilia Yahoo group.
- Deirdre McCloskey. "Queer Science: A data-bending psychologist confirms what he already knew about gays and transsexuals". Reasononline. November 2003. http://reason.com/news/printer/28928.html.
- Lesbian right-winger Tammy Bruce used Anne Lawrence as one of her examples of 'moral vacuum' in her book, The Death of Right and Wrong: Exposing the Left's Assault on Our Culture and Values. Roseville, Calif: Forum: 92-4.
- Dennis Rodkin. "Sex and Transsexuals". The Chicago Reader. Dec 12. http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/Bailey/Reader/Chicago%20Reader.12-12-03.html.
Joan Roughgarden writes open letter to the National Academy. "I wonder if many psychologists fully grasp the image some of their colleagues are projecting---psychology as a discipline without standards, nourishing a clique of dumbly insensitive bigots. These psychologists don’t seek to help people, but to dominate them by controlling the definition of normalcy. Their bogus categories and made-up diseases are intended to subordinate, not to describe."
Lambda Literary Foundation nominated Bailey’s book as a finalist in the transgender category.
Christine Burns initiates an online petition which gathers thousand of signatures in just a few days., and the nomination was withdrawn
Jim Marks, Executive Director of LLF resigns.
J Michael Bailey steps down as Chair of Psychology program at Northwestern.
Kiira Triea sets up transkids.us with Jennifer Ross for HSTS women. Bailey and Lawrence immediately link to the site.
- Christine Burns. "The Queen Who Won't Be Crowned". http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/Bailey/Lambda%20Literary%20Foundation.html#Queen.
- Willow Arune’s ”I am Arune” in reply to Lynn Conway.
- Ray Blanchard. “Origins of the Concept of Autogynephilia”. Feb 2004. www.autogynephilia.org/origins.htm.
- Paul McHugh. Surgical Sex”. First Things. 147, November 2004., 34-38. Online at: http://web.archive.org/web/20041126235726/http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft0411/articles/mchugh.htm. "One group consisted of conflicted and guilt-ridden homosexual men who saw a sex-change as a way to resolve their conflicts over homosexuality by allowing them to behave sexually as females with men. The other group, mostly older men, consisted of heterosexual (and some bisexual) males who found intense sexual arousal in cross-dressing as females."
2005++ Autogynephila Yahoo group closed for multiple violations of Terms of Service. Rumour is that this was engineered by Jennifer Usher.
Lisanne Anderson sets up The Autogynephilia Resource.
- Richard J. Novic. Alice in Genderland: A Crossdresser Comes of Age. iUniverse, Inc 294 pp 2005. See also her online article: “The Two Types of Transwomen”. Though the Looking Glass. http://aliceingenderland.com/TheTwoTypesofTranswomen.html.
"In my eye, we MTFs come in two varieties: started-out-straight and started-out-gay. Started-out-straight MTFs include crossdressers and most later-transitioning transsexuals, and our hallmarks are 1) We enjoy being women (and are deeply satisfied by anything that tells us that that’s what we’re doing). 2) We aren’t spontaneously and uncontrollably effeminate. 3) We’re attracted to women (whether we develop a fondness for men later on or not). 4) We gravitate toward business or technical careers. Started-out-gay MTFs include drag queens and most early-transitioning (say before 30) transsexuals. Their hallmarks are 1) They act like women and were effeminate from the start. 2) They don’t automatically love being women. If they’re well-received en femme, they seek it out. If not, they may be content to live more as drag queens or conventional gay men. 3) Most I’ve met will laugh off the idea of ever being attracted to a woman. 4) They gravitate toward people-oriented or creative careers."
- Ray Blanchard quoted: “A man without a penis has certain disadvantages in this world, and this is in reality what you're creating”. Jane Armstrong. “The Body within, the body without”. The Globe and Mail, 12 June 2004, p. F1. Online at: http://evalu8.org/staticpage?page=review&siteid=7950.
- Margaret McGhee “Autogynephilia: A Narrative”. http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/AG/AG%20-%20A%20Narrative.pdf.
- Paul McHugh. "Surgical Sex" reprinted in The Mind Has Mountains: Reflections on Society and Psychiatry. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press. p.221-2.
2007Jennifer Usher and Diane Kearny, of the US Protestant HBS group, frequently use ‘autogynephile’ to mean non-HBS although they do not equate HBS and HSTS, and both HBS and HSTS are adamant that they are not the other. "I do believe many today come from the behavioral mode of fetishism and through peer influence and/or as an extension of their own fetishism grow into what might well describe the autogynephilic not unlike the multitudes of the Lawrence's and Arune's in this world whom I suspect outnumber the true transsexual/HBS by an overwhelming number (Kearny-10/05/2009)".
Liberal government of Ontario reinstates partial funding of SRS under OHIP.
Kay Brown removes her Transsexual, Transgender, and Intersex History.
- Anne Lawrence. “A Critique of the Brain-Sex Theory of Transsexualism”. www.annelawrence.com/twr/brain-sex_critique.html. Argues that BSTc is likely a marker of autogynephilia.
- Joan Roughgarden. "The Bailey Affair, Again". Scientific Blogging. Aug 30, 2007. www.scientificblogging.com/joanroughgarden/the_bailey_affair_again. "Bailey is as clueless about science and unrepentantly bigoted now as he was in 2004".
- Benedict Carey. "Criticism of a Gender Theory, and a Scientist Under Siege".
- Ray Blanchard. “Deconstructing the feminine essence narrative”. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 37, 2008: 434–438.
- Alice D. Dreger. “The Controversy Surrounding The Man Who Would Be Queen: A Case History of the Politics of Science, Identity, and Sex in the Internet Age”. Archives of Sexual Behavior. 2008, 37: 366-421. www.bioethics.northwestern.edu/faculty/work/dreger/controversy_tmwwbq.pdf. Available online from 2007. The major defence of Bailey's book.
- Kelley Winters. “Autogynephilia: The Infallible Derogatory Hypothesis”. GID Reform Weblog. Nov 10,19, 2008. http://gidreform.wordpress.com/2008/11/10/autogynephilia-the-infallible-derogatory-hypothesis-part-1. http://gidreform.wordpress.com/2008/11/19/autogynephilia-the-infallible-derogatory-hypothesis-part-2.
- Curtis Hinkle suggests that Anne Lawrence wrote part of Bailey’s book. http://intersexusa.blogspot.com/2008/04/oii-investigation-part-2.html.
- ++ Kelley Winters. Gender Madness in American Psychiatry: Essays from the Struggle for Dignity. Dillon, CO: GID Reform Advocates, 2008.
2009Ray Blanchard Chair of the paraphilia sub-working group for the new DSM-V.
Transkids site revived by Kay Brown writing as Cloudy. She also started a blog: On the Science of Changing Sex. "I slept through the controversy surrounding the publication of The Man Who Would Be Queen. ... Prof. Bailey graciously gave me access to an online version of the book and I read it from front to back in nearly one sitting. Although I disagreed with several minor points, I felt I could have written the book myself. I agreed with each and every major point. Who wouldn't, if they knew what I know."
- Andrea James. “What motivates Ray Blanchard’s oppression of sex and gender minorities?”. Transsexual Road Map. 2 November 2009. www.tsroadmap.com/info/ray-blanchard-motivations.html.
- Larry Nuttbrock, Walter Bockting, Mona Mason, Sel Hwahng, Andrew Rosenblum, Monica Macri & Jeffrey Becker. “A Further Assessment of Blanchard’s Typology of Homosexual Versus Non-Homosexual or Autogynephilic Gender Dysphoria”. Archives of Sexual Behavior. April 2009. A Study of 571 trans women.
- Charles Moser. “Autogynephilia in Women”. Journal of Homosexuality. The first study of autogynephilia in cis women found that 28% are frequently so.
- Zagria “What is Autogynephilia?”. A Gender Variance Who’s Who. 22 March 2009. http://zagria.blogspot.com/2009/03/what-is-autogynephilia.html. "Blanchard’s supporters applaud that he has increased the types of transsexual from one to two. His detractors are appalled that the wide variety of transsexuality has been reduced to two stereotypes".
- Jack Molay’s Confessions of an Autogynephiliac.
2010Jack Molay renames his blog to Cross-dreamers.
Andrea James reveals that Cloudy is Kay Brown, author of Transsexual, Transgender, and Intersex History, and high tech entrepreneur.
- Anne Lawrence. “A Validation of Blanchard’s Typology: Comment on Nuttbrock et al . Archives of Sexual Behavior. March 2010.
- Larry Nuttbrock. “The Limitations of Blanchard’s Typology: A Response to Lawrence. Archives of Sexual Behavior. June 2010.
- Jesse Bering. “The Third Gender”. Scientific American. May 2010.
- Ophelia Bradley. ’They Need Labels’: Contemporary Institutional And Popular Frameworks For Gender Variance. MA Thesis. Georgia State University. Discusses AGP, HSTS and HBS persons using their blog names rather than their person names.
- Rose White’s book Harry Benjamin Syndrome Review constantly miswrites autogynephile as ‘autogyne’, and uses it as an insult while at the same time insisting that an HBS woman is obsessed with clothes and makeup.
- Alice Novic. "Autogynephilia: An Illuminating, Gut-Wrenching Conversation with Ray Blanchard, Ph.D.". Crossdreamers. Oct 22, 2010. www.crossdreamers.com/2010/10/autogynephilia-illuminating-gut.html. "Am I angry with Ray Blanchard? A little bit, for being such an old stick in the mud, because I think he could change his term for us without compromising his principles. He is no transgender activist, not even one bit. He has not given us useful slogans stamped with seal of science that we can take to our wives and our congressmen. But he is a scientist who has devoted a large chunk of his career to the rigorous study of us, a rather small, not terribly well funded group of people. And for that I am thankful, very thankful."
- Julia M. Serano. ‘The Case Against Autogynephilia.’ International Journal of Transgenderism, 12:3, 176-187. "If proponents of autogynephilia insist that every exception to the model is due to misreporting, then autogynephilia theory must be rejected on the grounds that it is unfalsifiable and therefore unscientific. If, on the other hand, we accept that these exceptions are legitimate, then it is clear that autogynephilia theory’s two-subtype taxonomy does not hold true."