This site is the most comprehensive on the web devoted to trans history and biography. Well over 1400 persons worthy of note, both famous and obscure, are discussed in detail, and many more are mentioned in passing.
There is a detailed Index arranged by vocation, doctor, activist group etc. There is also a Place Index arranged by City etc. This is still evolving.
In addition to this most articles have one or more labels at the bottom. Click one to go to similar persons. There is a full list of labels at the bottom of the right-hand sidebar. There is also a search box at the top left. Enjoy exploring!
- About Zagria
- Cis Person Index
- Place index
- Media Index
- Books online
- Writings on other Topics
- Navigating this Encyclopedia
- Comments on this Encyclopedia
- Jargon and Typology articles
- Permissions for Copying
- Trans dates of note
- Lists and Timelines
- Other Trans History sites
- Resolution 2048 of the Council of Europe
30 November 2014
"A gang of eight thieves arrested in March 1898 embodied this all-purpose deviancy. Employed as house servants, butcher's apprentices, grill cooks and barkeeps, according to one newspaper report, these youths appeared to earn their pocket money as rent boys and shoplifters, and they spent much of their free time dressed in women's garb. They were apparently successful passing themselves off as women, for they descended on department stores, en masse, where they stole large quantities of merchandise, which was later recovered from the ringleader's apartment. In drag they used nicknames line Die Schöne (the pretty one), Schminkjuste (Juste in makeup) and Seiden-Guste (Guste in silk), and solicited sex at the Katzenmutter."
26 November 2014
Three trans women - said to be prostitutes - at the Marienkasino.
Trans women at the Eldorado Nightclub
Hansi Sturm, Miss Eldorado, 1926.
All images from:
Robert Beachy. Gay Berlin: Birthplace of a Modern Identity. Knopf, 2014.
Note Herman von Teschenberg's transvestity is not mentioned, Dörchen Richter, Charlotte Charlaque are not mentioned at all. Lili Elevenes (Elbe) is not named.
24 November 2014
He enlisted at 18, and chose to go into the infantry, where he met David Morrison. He was known for his drinking and getting into fights.
However after a promotion, he left and joined the New South Wales Labor Party, and became press secretary to Bob Carr, then leader of the opposition. At this time Malcolm encountered Tony Abbott, who was making a name for himself in the Liberal Party, on a rugby field. In 1985 McGregor sought medical help and was offered a diagnosis of being transgender. He started going out as a woman, but lost his nerve and drank instead. He managed to stop, but had a major falling out with the Labor Party.
Malcolm went to work with the Federal Liberal Party for the 1993 election where John Hewson lost, despite expectations, to Labor's Paul Keating. 18 months later McGregor was involved in the leaking of internal polling that showed how unpopular Hewson was, and this led to Hewson being replaced.
Malcolm "having burnt my bridges with both political Parties" then became a media political commentator, and also joined the Army Reserve. After 911 he rejoined the Regular Army.
At this time Malcolm found a woman that he loved, and they married. He rose to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and was working as advisor and speechwriter for Lieutenant General David Morrison, who was now the Chief of the Army.
He had a second career as a cricket commentator for The Spectator.
In October 2011, McGregor read a magazine article about Westerly Windina in The Sun Herald, and this enabled him to tell his therapist that he was transgender.
In 2012 McGregor was awarded the Order of Australia, and discussed his gender issues with the chief, who refused twice to accept a resignation. McGregor's book, An Indian Summer of Cricket, came out under Malcolm's name, and in the final chapter she announces her impending transition. Tony Abbott reviewed it, and lauded her courage. She separated from her wife and transitioned as Catherine (Cate) "rhymes with mate'.
In 2014 Catherine was featured on ABC's Australian Story, introduced by her old mate Tony Abbott, now Prime Minister. Catherine transferred to the Air Force. She now writes about cricket for the Australian Financial Review. She is senior delegate for women’s cricket in the armed services, and helps select the Australian prime minister’s sides, as his representative, that play touring teams. Catherine is on good terms with her ex-wife.
*Not the academic at UVic, nor the NZ journalist, nor the actress.
- Malcolm McGregor. An Indian Summer of Cricket: Reflections on Australia's Summer Game. Griffith, A.C.T.: Barrallier Books Pty Ltd, 2012.
- Gabrielle Chan. "The Surprising Tony Abbott". The Hoopla, December 5, 2012. http://thehoopla.com.au/tony-abbott-shades-grey.
- Rick Feneley. "Cate McGregor on leaving Malcolm McGregor behind and becoming a woman". The Sydney Morning Herald, February 25, 2014. www.smh.com.au/national/cate-mcgregor-on-leaving-malcolm-mcgregor-behind-and-becoming-a-woman-20140224-33d40.html.
- "Call Me Cate". Australian Story, ABC1 30 mins 4 Mar 2014. www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIpYNWwX3ww.
- Mike Selvey. "Cricket has always been a game that takes people for who they are: Cricket writer Catherine McGregor was ‘humbled’ by the generous reception she received from the global cricket community after she announced that she was transgender". The Guardian, 13 August 2014. www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/aug/13/cricket-mike-selvey-column.
- Tom Decent. "ABC defends airing 'transphobic' Q&A tweets about Catherine McGregor". The Sydney Morning Herald, October 14, 2014. www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/abc-defends-airing-transphobic-qa-tweets-about-catherine-mcgregor-20141014-115rbk.html.
22 November 2014
In late 2013 Teixeira took three months leave and after surgery in Thailand returned as Laura. She arranged to be transferred to a police unit that specializes in countering crimes against women.
"I feel that as a woman now I can make a difference investigating and helping transgender victims in particular who suffer abuse and violence because of who they choose to be".
*Not the boxer Thiago Teixeira.
- "Delegado que mudou de sexo diz ter apoio dos colegas: 'Estou tranquila': Thiago Teixeira fez cirurgia na Tailândia e passou a se chamar Laura.
Para a direção da Polícia Civil de Goiás, decisão foi um ato de coragem.". g1.globo, 23/01/2014. http://g1.globo.com/goias/noticia/2014/01/delegado-que-mudou-de-sexo-diz-ter-apoio-dos-colegas-estou-tranquila.html.
- Janet Tappin Coelho. "'Macho' Brazilian police chief goes on leave for three months and comes back as a woman called LAURA". The Daily Mail, 25 January 2014, www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545835/Macho-Brazilian-police-chief-goes-leave-three-months-comes-woman-called-LAURA.html.
- "Capo della Polizia prende una Decisione che Sconvolge i Colleghi". Leggilo, 26 gennaio 2014. www.leggilo.net/125824/capo-della-polizia-prende-una-decisione-che-sconvolge-i-colleghi-foto.html.
18 November 2014
I missed this when it came out in February, but it is certainly worth watching.
Directed by Bruce Weber
With Candy Darling, Flawless Sabrina
Valentijn de Hingh
Ashley de la Cruz
The individual portraits start at 10.00 minutes in.
16 November 2014
She has since been in several episodes of the Salve Jorge telenovela, again playing a transsexual.
- Moreira (dir & scr). Quanto Dura o Amor?/Paulista. Roberto With Maria Spinelli as Suzana. Brazil 83 mins 2009
- "Hollywood Brazilian Film Festival continues today with the L.A. premiere of 'Paulista'". Examiner, February 6, 2010. www.examiner.com/article/hollywood-brazilian-film-festival-continues-today-with-the-l-a-premiere-of-paulista.
- "Por que Maria Clara Spinelli é uma atriz diferente das outras?". Virgula, 24 de marco de 2010. http://virgula.uol.com.br/legado/por-que-maria-clara-spinelli-e-uma-atriz-diferente-das-outras.
- "'Minha profissão é ser atriz e não transexual', diz a Anita de 'Salve Jorge'". O Dia, 11.04.2013. http://odia.ig.com.br/portal/diversaoetv/minha-profiss%C3%A3o-%C3%A9-ser-atriz-e-n%C3%A3o-transexual-diz-a-anita-de-salve-jorge-1.570940.
- Glória Perez (creator). Salve Jorge. With Maria Spinelli as Anita. Brazil Rede Globo 2013.
13 November 2014
In 2007 she was featured in the documentary film, I bóg stworzył transwestytę. During the elections that year, she arrived at the polling station, accompanied by German and Polish camera crews, but because of the male-looking photograph on her identity documents, she was not allowed to vote. This led to a debate in the Polish media on identity and sex.
Later she was featured in the media when she met with a letting agent to complete a pre-arranged lease, and he refused to let her have the apartment.
In August 2014, she was invited on Polsat news along with Artur Zawisza, the leader of the right-wing Ruch Narodowy (National Movement). Zawisza referred to her as 'it', 'that thing' and 'male whore'. Rafalala retorted with “You, sir, are a stupid man who lies on the air”, and finally, as he would not stop his insults, poured water on him, after which he left the studio.
- M. Hompes. "Gender and Sexuality in Poland". Art and Resistance. http://art-and-resistance.blogspot.ca/p/gender-and-sexuality-in-poland.html.
- "Celebrity transsexual gets into TV scrap with nationalist". Polskie Radio DLA Zagranicy, 08.08.2014. http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/178385,Celebrity-transsexual-gets-into-TV-scrap-with-nationalist#sthash.gDUYsItl.
09 November 2014
One of the good things about this list is that most people on have not yet been featured in either GVWW or Wikipedia. I, of course, certainly disagree with who is on the list, who is not and the rankings - but lets put that aside.
Trans persons included:
2 Paris Lees, journalist
13 Kate Stone, scientist. GVWW
18 Rebecca Root, actress
24 James Morton of the Scottish Transgender Alliance
36 Natacha Kennedy, Lecturer, Goldsmiths College, co-chair of Camden LGBT Forum, sits on LGBT Labour’s national committee and is a founder member of London Trans Diversity and the Trans Teachers’ Association.
47 Isabella Segal, accountant.
58 Jane Fae, journalist GVWW
65 Jay Stewart, Co-founder of Gendered Intelligence
68 Jess Key, head of UK Trans Info
74 Juliet Jacques, columnist and blogger, blog longlisted for the 2011 Orwell prize. WIKIPEDIA
86 Asif Quaraishi, the UK’s first Muslim drag queen.
87 Juno Roche, primary schoolteacher
89 Cat Burton, British Airways pilot
92 CN Lester, musician, writer, activist.
93 Ayla Holdom, RAF pilot
94 Antonia Belcher, building consultant
96 Sarah Brown, previously Cambridge Councillor. WIKIPEDIA
98 Stephanie Hirst, radio presenter
April Ashley GVWW WIKIPEDIA
Stephen Whittle WIKIPEDIA
Paul O'Grady/Lily Savage GVWW WIKIPEDIA
George O'Dowd GVWW WIKIPEDIA
Alice Purnell GVWW
Roz Kaveney GVWW Wikipedia
Ones to Watch
Kellie Maloney, boxing promoter, UKIP candidate WIKIPEDIA
Michelle Ross, CliniQ for trans sexual health.
Naith Payton, first-person piece in The Sun
Sophie Green, artist & illustrator
Nicole Gibson, model
08 November 2014
After working for TV Globo, Marra found work in fashion on the production side, still dressing androgynously. A photographer whom she had been working with approached her and asked to do a photo-shoot. He showed the photos to a lot of people, and Carol, by now dressing as female, was invited to participate in the Minas Trend Preview, a fashion show that happens right before Fashion Rio and São Paulo Fashion Week.
This led to more work, including in Paris. She also acted in a production of Jean Genet's play The Maids. She has been in two television mini-series and was the first transsexual featured in Revista Trip magazine.
She has recently been seen in the company of a parliamentary advisor, who has endured the ribaldry of his colleagues, and has a supporting mother. Carol has been postponing transgender surgery because because of her busy schedule, but has met with Dr. Marcio Littleton in Rio, and had counselling.
- "Carol Marra: Aos 25 anos, a jornalista e modelo mineira é a primeira Trip Girl transex da nossa história". Revista Trip, 20.09.9012. http://revistatrip.uol.com.br/revista/214/trip-girls/carol-marra.html.
- Jukiana Leandra. "Chapter 50: Brazil - Carol Marra" Frank151, Winter 2013. www.frank151.com/news/chapter-50-brazil-carol-marra.html.
- Taylor Barnes. "Transgender Models Prosper in Brazil, Where Carnival and Faith Reign". The New York Times, March 15, 2014. www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/world/americas/transgender-models-prosper-in-brazil-where-carnival-and-faith-reign.html.
- "Família do namorado de Carol Marra ficou surprsa por ela ser transexual: ‘Tem que ser muito homem e seguro da masculinidade para me assumir’, disse a modelo sobre Tiago Tessari.". ego.globo, 06/2014. http://ego.globo.com/famosos/noticia/2014/06/familia-do-namorado-de-carol-marra-ficou-chocada-por-ela-ser-transexual.html.
- "Biquíni não atrapalha transexual Carol Marra: 'A gente esconde': A modelo posou para um grife de biquíni em uma praia no litoral norte de São Paulo.". ego.globo, 07/2014. http://ego.globo.com/famosos/noticia/2014/07/biquini-nao-atrapalha-transexual-carol-marra-gente-esconde.html.
03 November 2014
By the second standard Tripathi was fascinated by the Bharatanatyam dance, its costumes, jewellery and make-up. She also became with a hijra artist, Shabina Frances. Unusually her family supported her study of dance and theatre, and Laxmi took an arts degree at Mumbai's Mithibai College and a post-graduate degree in Bharatnatyam. She drew comments on the street:
"I was comfortable with myself; so what others said never bothered me. That was the time when I was a queen, an epitome of sexuality, and I had many boyfriends. All this while I found I was very feminine".She became a celebrated dancer, and also worked for LGBT causes:
"There were many hijras who died on my lap in the hospital because they didn't get medical attention on time".In 2002 Laxmi became a founding member of the Dai Welfare Society, which works for hijra and other trans persons. In 2008 Tripathi was voted to represent the Asia Pacific Sex Workers Network and in this capacity spoke at the UN Civil Society Task Force at the UN General Assembly. In 2010 she launched the Indian Super Queen beauty pageant.
Laxmi has starred in several television shows including the reality show Bigg Boss, and in three documentary films. She has adopted two children.
She was one of those who had petitioned for India to recognize a third gender, which was achieved in April 2014 by the Supreme Court, which was in time to permit trans persons to vote in the 2014 national elections. The court also ordered that employment and education quotas be established for trans as for other minorities.
- Suneeta Singh & Sangita Dasgupta. A People Stronger: The Collectivization of MSM and TG groups in India. Sage Publications, 2013: xxii, 93, 124.
- Nirmale George. "India's Supreme Court recognizes 'transgender' as third gender". CTV News, April 15, 2014. www.ctvnews.ca/world/india-s-supreme-court-recognizes-transgender-as-third-gender-1.1776333.
- "We too are human beings: Transgender activist Lakshmi Narayan Tripathi". DNA India, 27 April 2014. http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-we-too-are-human-beings-transgender-activist-lakshmi-narayan-tripathi-1982540.
- Nidhi Sethi interviews Lakshmi Narayan Tripathi. ""I was the only drag queen on campus...I was very bad at that time". The Times of India, Apr 30, 2014. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/people/I-was-the-only-drag-queen-on-campus-I-was-very-bad-at-that-time/articleshow/34374740.cms.
- Laxmi Narayan Tripathi. "My Life as a Transgender Woman in India" Daily Development, May 14, 2014. http://dailydevelopment.org/blog/laxmi-narayan-tripathi-my-life-transgender-woman-india.
Laxmi is the name of the goddess of beauty and fortune who is also the wife of Vishnu. However the name was decided by the Vaishnavist family before Laxmi was born and thus is not a name taken at transition.