Some months later she started transition as Jennifer, after appearing female at a Halloween party. In 2007 she did a series of interviews on provincial television station NTV about transitioning. She started getting positive reactions from people on the street who had seen her on television, but a year later lost her job.
She is also a marathon runner. She ran 30 marathons 2007-11, including the Boston Marathon in 2009 and 2010. She won a gold medal for achievement in the 2009 World OutGames in Copenhagen . She ran the 1500 metre freestyle swim and marathon run in the third gender category.
She took work as a filing clerk. She became involving in organizing St John's Pride Week, and founded the East Coast Trans Alliance.
Following trans surgery in January 2011, Jennifer applied to Nova Scotia for a revised birth certificate, but it took longer than usual. Jennifer had committed to run in a marathon, and had to fly with her male passport. Changing planes she was detained at US Immigration in Toronto, made to wait 90 minutes before being interviewed, photographed and fingerprinted, and subjected to many intrusive and irrelevant personal questions. As a result she missed her flight and had to pay $80 for changing flights.
deputy mayor in St John's.
“Everyone said I didn’t have any chance at all. Initially, I couldn’t get anyone to work with me. Nobody would sign my nomination papers. But six weeks later, I walked away with close to 6,000 votes — 17 per cent of the popular vote.”In 2015 Jennifer ran in the federal constituency of Avalon. Although she was previously a member of the New Democratic Party, she ran as a candidate of the newly formed Strength in Democracy Party.
- “McCreath wins gold”. Thescope. Jul26, 2009. http://thescope.ca/2009/07/mccreath-wins-gold.
- Christin Scarlett Milloy. "Detained at the Airport: One Trans Woman’s Horrifying Story". chrissmilloy. 2012.02.06. http://chrismilloy.ca/2012/02/detained-at-the-airport-one-trans-womans-horrifying-story.
- Jane Fae. "Canada: Trans woman detained under US flight rules". Pink News, 6th February 2012. www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/02/06/canada-trans-woman-detained-under-us-flight-rules.
- Justin Brake. "In conversation with Jennifer McCreath". Newfoundland & Labrador Independent, July 17, 2013. http://theindependent.ca/2013/07/17/in-conversation-with-jennifer-mccreath.
- Sheena Giidyear. "Meet Canada’s only transgender federal election candidate". Yahoo! Canada News, 11 Aug 2015. https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/meet-canadas-only-transgender-federal-election-221926963.html.
US immigration was never particularly friendly, and has become a lot worse since 2001. Here is a recent story of an 8-year-old being turned away in that he might be a 'terrorist'. Many Canadians now avoid flying into or changing planes in the US. We might note that not a single trans person has yet turned out to be a terrorist, and that harassment based on gender incongruity has nothing to do with preventing terrorism.