What is The Harry Benjamin Resource Centre Europe?
HBRCE promises a conference in Oslo in September 2012, and then:
The Harry Benjamin Resource Centre Europe (HBRC-Europe) is a professional organization devoted to the understanding and treatment of the diagnosis transsexualism.
HBRC-Europe Mission Statement
As a European multidisciplinary professional Association the mission of The Harry Benjamin Resource Centre Europe (HBRC-Europe) is to promote evidence based care, education, research, advocacy, and public policy regarding the diagnosis transsexualism
HBRC-Europe Vision StatementAnd that is it. There is a list of board members, and a set of bylaws. And a Links page with no links. But nothing that you might call content. No essays, no discussion, no policy statement. In particular, as it was Charlotte Goiar who recommended this site to us, there is no mention at all of HBS.
The vision of The Harry Benjamin resource center-Europe (HBRS- Europe) is to expand its European authority by promoting, education, advocacy, training, research, quality health care and best practice standards for service providers and policy makers regarding the diagnosis transsexualism.
There is also Harry Benjamin Ressurssenter (see also Wikipedia page). By their similar names, one would assume that the two groups are related, but neither web site mentions the other.
Who are The Harry Benjamin Resource Centre Europe?
With only one exception, all the board are Norwegian.
- The president is Thore Langfeldt. Here is his Wikipedia page. His major works are: Sexologi ,1993, Barns seksualitet (Child Sexuality),2000, and Erotikk og fundamentalisme: Fra mesopotamia til kvinnefronten (Erotica and fundamentalism: from Mesopotamia to the women’s movement),2005. He was active in the paedophila study group, Pedofil Arbeidsgruppe, in the 1970s, and was a defence witness for Erik Andersen, Norway’s most prominent sex crime convict.
- The vice president is Ingvill Størksen, an advisor to the Norwegian Centre Party. She has published on gay and lesbian youth and on living with AIDS.
- Board member Ira Haraldsen is a psycho-endocrinologist who studies Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone Receptor Blockage and brain development.
- Board member Olav Bendiksby is writing a PhD on “young violent sex offenders in psychoanalytically oriented intensive psychotherapy”.
- Board member Tone Maria Hansen is a trans woman, a sociologist, a co-founder and chair of Landsforeningen for transseksuelle, now known as the Harry Benjamin Ressurssenter in 2000. She is in WPATH and gave a paper at IFGE in 2003.
- Board member Richard Green is research director at the Charing Cross Hospital Gender Identity Clinic.
The Harry Benjamin Resource Centre Europe is a tentative organization of academics, who, with the exception of Hansen and Green, have little experience with trans people. It is yet to be seen what will come out of it.
What is strange is that Charlotte Goiar endorses HBRCE. There is not the slightest indication that HBRCE will endorse HBS.