William Orobko was a lawyer, an entrepreneur and a television host. He was married to a woman and they had three children and a large house in West Vancouver. He had been an active nudist in the 1960s. He was also a bibliographer (he wrote a bibliography of the novels of C.S. Foster).
He gave up the law after a heart attack at age 32, and wrote a book on commuter cycling in Calgary. He also wrote a book on the law for musicians.
In 1995 he went to Thailand and became involved in a dubious $1million financial transaction with two Americans who turned out to have forged documents. All three were arrested. William was repeatedly raped by the guards in a Bangkok prison. Even after release on bail, the Thai authorities held on to his passport, and he could not return to Canada until Preston Manning, the leader of the Canadian Reform Party, went to Thailand and took up his case. He was for a while a fugitive from Thailand.
On return to Canada, he sought psychological counselling, and decided to become a woman. He says that he was not a crossdresser before this point.
He temporarily lived in Kelowna, and became a patient at the Vancouver Clinic. William transitioned to Willow. She was able to get permanent disability welfare for post-traumatic stress resulting from the incarceration on top of her earlier health problems. She has become a major apologist for Michael Bailey, and is antagonistic to Andrea James, Lynn Conway, and Deirdre McCloskey. She and her new female partner now live in Prince George in northern British Columbia.
- John Gradon. “Free at Last”. Calgary Herald Nov 24, 1996. Online at http://groups.google.com/group/alt.support.srs/browse_frm/thread/a98cafa0a9ab92b1/2cea0815a3897799?.
- Don Plant. “Willow sculpts a life”. The Kelowna Daily Courier. Jan 27, 1999. Online at: http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/Bailey/Reader/Chicago%20Reader.12-12-03.html#anchor256362.
- Lynn Conway. “Who is Arune?”. http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/Bailey/Reader/Chicago%20Reader.12-12-03.html#anchor29531.
- Willow Arune. “I am Arune”. The Autogynephilia Resource. 6/6/04. www.autogynephilia.org/I%20AM%20ARUNE.htm
- William Orobko. The Musician's Handbook: A Practical Guide to the Law and Business of Music. International Self-Counsel Press, 1985.
- William Orobko. Commuting by Bike. Rocky Mountain Books, 1995.