In 1975 he founded the gender clinic at the Free University Hospital. In 1976 he studied with John Money at the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. He was registered as a specialist in in internal medicine and endocrinology in 1977, and completed his PhD on testicular hormones in 1981.
In 1988 he became the Professor of Endocrinology at the special chair of Transsexology at the Free University.
He is also interested in male aging, and co-edited two books on the subject.
He is highly critical of Michael Bailey’s book. He was featured in the 2005 television film, Middle Sexes.
He has treated over 2,200 transsexuals. He was one of the first sex-change doctors to accept patients as young as five years old.
He retired in 2008, but still works at the Free University, and also works as a consultant in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Patients include: Veronique Renard, Rachel Pollack.
- Louis Gooren. “Closing Speech”. 23rd Colloquy on European Law:
- Transsexualism, medicine and law. 16 April 1993. www.pfc.org.uk/gender/louis-gooren-speech.
- Norman Swan. “Gender Dysphoria”. The Health Report. 4 Sept 2000. www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/stories/s171717.htm.
- Peter Vermij. Een man gevangen in een mannen – lichaam. www.europeants.org/WTPS/Papers/man_gevangen.htm. Partially translated by Arianne van der Ven at www.tsroadmap.com/info/louis-gooren.html.
- Antony Thomas (dir & scr). Middle Sexes: Redefining He and She. With Louis Gooren, Anne Fausto-Sterling, Milton Diamond, Alice Dreger, Joan Roughgarden, Calpernia Addams, Andrea James. USA/UK 74 mins 2005.