They then sold his phone to buy ham sandwiches. A female friend of Green dropped by and they actually boasted about the death, and showed her the body. She fled and contacted the police.
After conviction at Glasgow's high court, all three were sentenced to a minimum of 18 years each. Green was sent to Cornton Vale prison for women, the only such prison in Scotland. It was also announced that transgender surgery would be arranged for Green on the NHS, which would have to be in England. The Shankland family, supported by some politicians, objected that Green should lose her right to transgender surgery as part of her punishment.
Soon Green was found to be having sex with other inmates, and after warnings was moved to the women's section of Edinburgh's Saughton Prison.
*Not the Houston band.
- Charlene Wilson. "Three people charged with Glenrothes murder". The Courier, 29 March 2013. www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/fife/three-people-charged-with-glenrothes-murder-1.80429.
- "Three people sentenced to life for 'wicked' murder of man at party". STV News, 8 November 2013. http://news.stv.tv/east-central/247698-three-people-killed-robert-shankland-after-inviting-him-to-party.
- Daniel Miller "Murderer who killed a man following a row over a bag of chips will serve his life sentence in a women's prison after arranging taxpayer-funded sex change". The Daily Mail, 9 November 2013. www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2494991/Murderer-born-man-sentenced-life-womens-prison-arranging-sex-change-taxpayers-money.html.
- Aileen Robertson. "‘A male should be in a male prison’ — victim’s family say murderer Paris Green is being ‘rewarded’". The Courier, 12 November 2013. www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/fife/a-male-should-be-in-a-male-prison-victim-s-family-say-murderer-paris-green-is-being-rewarded-1.152307.
- Damien Gayle. "Male transgender prisoner guilty of brutal murder is moved from women's jail 'because he kept having sex with female inmates' while waiting for sex-change op funded by UK taxpayer". The Daily Mail, 17 December 2013. www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2525441/Transgender-murderer-Paris-Green-moved-womens-prison-sex-inmates.html.
Trivia: paris green is a highly toxic inorganic compound used to kill insects and rodents.