Part 1: Organizations, Equal marriage.
Part 2: Other Legislation.
Part 3: Persons.
Part 4: Spouses, Family, Kids.
Part 5: Political, Celebrities, Sports, Festivals.
Part 6: Schools, Universities & Colleges, Imprisonment, Nemeses, Internet.
Part 7: Doctors & Sexologists, Medicine, Genetics, Obituaries.
Part 8: Fashion, Beauty Pageants, Music, Dance & Performance.
Part 9: Art, Television, Adverts, Theatre, Cinema.
Part 10: Jargon, News Media, Theses & Studies,
Part 11: Bookshops, Archives, Books.
Zagria's article on the Paris Prefecture established that 'transvestism' was in use a full century before Hirschfeld supposedly coined the term.
Increased usage of MAAB (male assigned at birth), FAAB, AFAB (assigned female at birth) AMAB.
Increased usage of SOGI (sexual orientation and/or gender identity), more so than of ‘sex and gender diverse" SGD.
'trannie' has largely lost its meaning as the umbrella word, although still used in that sense by older people. It is now mainly used by drag queens.
Associated Press is discouraging the use of the word 'homophobia' 'as it is not a medical condition'. They have not ruled on 'transphobia'.
The APA re its DSM has proposed to drop Gender Identity Disorder and use Gender Dysphoria instead. At least the bad word 'disorder' is gone, but remember that Norman Fisk proposed 'gender dysphoria syndrome' in 1973 to re-medicalize the concept as 'transsexualism' had by then lost its medical connotations.
'cis' is beginning to be used by cis people.
Magazines and newspapers:
Meta Magazine - produced by trans people for trans people
- Sunnivie Brydum. "The Silent Soldiers Who Are Still ‘Unfit to Serve’". The Advocate, September 19 2012. www.advocate.com/politics/military/2012/09/19/meet-silent-soldiers-who-are-still-called-unfit-serve.
- Sunnivie Brydum. "WATCH: 'Voting While Trans' Helps Navigate Voter ID laws". The Advocate, October 1, 2012. www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2012/10/01/watch-voting-while-trans-helps-navigate-voter-id-laws.
- Julie Turkewitz. "Transgender Rights in the Workplace Are Still Unclear". The Atlantic, Jun 21 2012. www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/06/transgender-rights-in-the-workplace-are-still-unclear/258822.
- Robin Knowles. “172 gender reassignment procedures took place in 2010”. BBC Radio 1 Newsbeat. 17 January 2012. www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/16593126.
- Debbie McMillan. “Have We Evolved in Our View of Transgender People?”. Daily Kos, Sep 14, 2012. www.dailykos.com/story/2012/09/14/1131853/-Have-We-Evolved-in-Our-View-of-Transgender-People.
- Claire Bates. “NHS has paid for 'gender-confused' children to have puberty-delaying jabs... so they can have sex changes when they're older”. The Daily Mail, 22nd Jan 2012. www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2090193/NHS-pays-children-controversial-puberty-delaying-drugs-aid-sex-changes-later-life.html.
- Ross Clark. "Beware of the sex change zealots: Why IS the state so obsessed with whether we're transgender?" The Daily Mail, 31 July 2012. www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2181312/Filling-form-broadband-Beware-sex-change-zealots.html.
- Ed West. “The transgender taboo is a threat to academic freedom”. The Daily Telegraph, Jan 24th 2012. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100131972/the-transgender-taboo-is-a-threat-to-academic-freedom.
- Peter Singer and Agata Sagan. "He or she: Does gender really matter? " The Globe and Mail, Apr 17 2012. www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/he-or-she-does-gender-really-matter/article4210246.
- Lysiane Gagnon. "When a man is a woman". The Globe and Mail, May 28, 2012. www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/lysiane-gagnon/when-a-man-is-a-woman/article2443939.
- Andrea Swalec. "Transgender New Yorkers Face Scorn And Violence Using Public Restrooms ". Huffington Post, 10/01/2012. www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/01/transgender-new-yorkers-face-scorn-violence-public-restrooms_n_1928748.html.
- Chanan Tigay. "Transgender Jews Seek Place at Table: Conference Aims To Break Communal Silence on Issue". The Jewish Daily Forward, November 16, 2012. http://forward.com/articles/165708/transgender-jews-seek-place-at-table.
- Nicole Pasulka. “17 European Countries Force Transgender Sterilization”. Mother Jones, Feb 16, 2012. http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/02/most-european-countries-force-sterilization-transgender-people-map.
- Juliet Jacques. "The turning of the tide: The media's monstering of transgender people is finally being challenged.". New Statesman, 13 February 2012. www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2012/02/transgender-media-transsexual.
- Anna Leach. "Why are NHS doctors are still treating trans people like they’re mentally ill?". New Statesman, 17 November 2012. www.newstatesman.com/voices/2012/11/why-are-nhs-doctors-are-still-treating-trans-people-theyre-mentally-ill.
- Tracy Clarke-Flory. “Trans teens turn to YouTube”. Salon.com, Feb 25,2012. www.salon.com/2012/02/26/trans_teens_turn_to_youtube.
Afghanistan: Tahir Qadiry. "The Afghan girls who live as boys". BBC New Magazine, 27 March 2012. www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15262680.
Argentina: Emily Schmall. "Transgender Advocates Hail Law Easing Rules in Argentina". The New York Times, May 24, 2012. www.nytimes.com/2012/05/25/world/americas/transgender-advocates-hail-argentina-law.html.
- Annie Murphy. "No More 'Lying': Law Bolsters Transgender Argentines ". National Public Radio, October 1, 2012. www.npr.org/2012/10/01/162100680/no-more-lying-law-bolsters-transgender-argentines.
Bolivia: Lucas Waldron. "Transsexual in Bolivia ". Huffington Post, 10/31/2012. www.huffingtonpost.com/lucas-waldron/transexual-in-bolivia_b_2044147.html.
Chicago: Lauren Everitt. “Store's specialty: transgender women”. Windy City Times, 2012-01-18. www.windycitymediagroup.com/gay/lesbian/news/ARTICLE.php?AID=35677.
China: Xu Jingxi. "In transition". China Daily, 2012-07-04. www.chinadaily.com.cn/life/2012-07/04/content_15547261.htm.
India: Monalisa Das. "The big leap". India Today, February 23 2012. http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/transsexual-transgenders-media-nikkiey-chawla-maria-mehra/1/174906.html.
- Monalisa Das, “Mocked and misunderstood: A transexual's plea to change his school records was rejected by a trial court highlighting the challenges faced by this community”. The Daily Mail, 23rd Deb 2012. www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2105066/Mocked-misunderstood-A-transexuals-plea-change-school-records-rejected-trial-court-highlighting-challenges-faced-community.html?ito=feeds-newsxml.
- Mohammad Ali. "Transgender community demands civil, not special, rights". The Hindu, May 13, 2012. www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Delhi/article3414880.ece.
- Prabha Srideven. "The third gender's right to dignity". The Hindu, May 31, 2012. www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/article3474004.ece.
- Shalu Yadav. "India's transgender community". BBC News, 15 July 2012. www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18768048.
- Mohit M. Rao. "Transgender people crave for dignity ". The Hindu, October 25, 2012. http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Mangalore/transgender-people-crave-for-dignity/article4030415.ece.
Ireland: "They talk about gay or lesbian but never transgender". The Irsih Times, July 28, 2012. www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2012/0728/1224320928699.html.
Israel: Ofer Aderet. "Sex-change in Israel: Gender trap: The Health Ministry panel charged with approving sex-reassignment surgery has been slammed as non-transparent". Haaretz, 22.06.12. Online at: www.changelingaspects.com/PDF/Sex%20Change%20in%20Israel%20Gender%20Trap.pdf.
Ivory Coast. Robbie Corey-Boulet. "Transgender Prostitutes Face Abuse in Ivory Coast". ABC News, December 10, 2012. http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/transgender-prostitutes-face-abuse-ivory-coast-17924240#.UM-1QnchM1i.
Kenya: Brenda Okoth. "Kenya: Gender Identity - the Other Sex, Part Three". AllAfrica, 29 November 2012. http://allafrica.com/stories/201211300075.html?viewall=1.
Kuwait: "Kuwait continues LGBT crackdown, arrests transsexual man". bikyaMasr, 13 June 2012. www.bikyamasr.com/69744/kuwait-continues-lgbt-crackdown-arrests-transsexual-man.
- Dan Littauer. "Two trans women arrested in Kuwait". GayStarNews, 28 November 2012. www.gaystarnews.com/article/two-trans-women-arrested-kuwait281112.
- Mazwin Nik Anis. "Dr Mashitah: No constitutional protection for LGBT". The Star, June 19, 2012. http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/6/19/nation/20120619165313&sec=nation.
- Pang Khee Teik. "Federal constitution does not define gender at all". MalaysiaKini, Jun 20, 2012. www.malaysiakini.com/letters/201443?ModPagespeed=noscript.
- Anna Leach. "International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission criticizes Malaysia: International human rights organization accuses Malaysia of ‘stubbornly reject[ing] the rights of LGBT people’ ". GayStarNews, 16 October 2012. www.gaystarnews.com/article/international-gay-and-lesbian-human-rights-commission-criticizes-malaysia161012.
New Zealand: Michelle Cooke. "Transsexual backs law change to alter her birth certificate". Stuff, 09/09/2012. www.stuff.co.nz/national/7640395/Transsexual-backs-law-change-to-alter-her-birth-certificate.
Pakistan: "Transgender Pakistanis face society's scorn". USA Today, November 9.2012. www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2012/11/09/transgender-pakistanis-society/1694027.
Philippines: Sass Roganda Sasot. "Our Brave New World (A Five-part Series)", Outrage, Nov 21, 2012. http://outragemag.com/online/our-brave-new-world-first-of-five, http://outragemag.com/online/our-brave-new-world-second-of-five, http://outragemag.com/online/our-brave-new-world-third-of-five, http://outragemag.com/online/our-brave-new-world-fourth-of-five, http://outragemag.com/online/our-brave-new-world-fifth-of-five.
Thai women in Gulf States: Nantida Puangthong. "Transvestites, women warned against sex trade in Mideast". AsiaOne, Aug 25, 2012. http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Crime/Story/A1Story20120825-367544.html.
Turkey: Elif Shafak. “From homophobia to a moving apology in Turkey: As a groundbreaking film launches, Turkish attitudes to gay and transgender people are slowly improving – in the media at least”. The Guardian, 18 January 2012.
Winona, Minnesota: Alexandria Fisher. "Transgender: The journey to identity". Winona360, 03.08.12. http://winona360.winona.edu/winona360/article/transgender-journey-identity.
Wisconsin: Carley Rimkus. "The pieces of the identity puzzle". Royal Purple News, March 7, 2012. http://royalpurplenews.com/?p=6058.
"Mike Tyson sex change operation ‘a complete success’, say surgeons" Newsbiscuit, no date. www.newsbiscuit.com/2012/11/30/mike-tyson-sex-change-operation-a-complete-success-say-surgeons. This story was repeated as true by the Standard on Sunday (Zimbabwe), Spy Ghana and Zambia Watchdog.
Cheryl. “The Truth About The Gender Industry”. Cheryl’s Mewsings, Feb 26th, 2012. www.cheryl-morgan.com/?p=13055.
Theses & Studies
- Improving the Lives of Transgender Older Adults: Recommendations for Policy and Practice. Sage, 2012. Download. Newsarticle.
- Silvan Agius & Christa Tobler. "Trans and intersex people: Discrimination on the grounds of sex, gender identity and gender expression". European Commission, 2012. Download.
- Silvan Agius, Richard Köhler, Sophie Aujean & Julia Ehrt. Human Rights and Gender Identity: Best Practice Catalogue. ILGA Europe, TGEU, EU Directorate-General for Employment, December 2011. Download.
- Gavi Ansara & Peter Hegarty. "Cisgenderism in psychology: Pathologizing and misgendering children from 1999 to 2008". Psychology and Sexuality, 3, 137-160, 2011. Download. Winner of the American Psychological Association Division 44 Transgender Research Award Prize. Abstract: "We assessed whether recent psychological literature on children reflects or contrasts with the zeitgeist of American Psychological Association's recent non-discrimination statement on 'transgender' and 'gender variant' individuals. Article records (N = 94) on childhood 'gender identity' and 'expression' published between 1999 and 2008 inclusive were evaluated for two kinds of cisgenderism, the ideology that invalidates or pathologises self-designated genders that contrast with external designations. Misgendering language contradicts children's own gender assignations and was less frequent than pathologising language which constructs children's own gender assignations and expression as disordered. Articles on children's gender identity/expression are increasingly impactful within psychology. Cisgenderism is neither increasing nor decreasing overall. Mental health professionals are more cisgenderist than other authors. Articles by members of an 'invisible college' structured around the most prolific author in this area are more cisgenderist and impactful than other articles. We suggest how authors and editors can implement American Psychological Association policy and change scientific discourse about children's genders.
- Former military psychologist George Brown is preparing a study that shows that biologically male U.S. veterans are twice as likely as civilian men to identify as female and often decide to enlist to reassert their masculinity.
- Andrew Cray & Kellan Baker. "FAQ: Health Insurance Needs for Transgender Americans". Center for American Progress, October 3, 2012. www.americanprogress.org/issues/lgbt/report/2012/10/03/40334/faq-health-insurance-needs-for-transgender-americans.
- Alice Dreger, Ellen K. feder & Anne Tamar-Mattis, “Prenatal Dexamethasone for Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia: An Ethics Canary in the Modern Medical Mine”. Bioethical Inquiry, 9, 3, 2012: 277-294. www.springerlink.com/content/m1523l7615744552/?MUD=MP.
- Jaime M. Grant, Lisa A. Mottet, Justin Tanis with Jack Harrison, Jody L. Haerman & Mara Kesiling. Injustice at Every Turn: A Report of the Transgender Discrimination Survey. Washington: National Center for Transgender Equality & National Gay & Lesbian Task Force, 2012. Download. Newsarticle.
- Jack Harrison, Jaime Grant & Jody L. Herman. "A Gender Not Listed Here: Genderqueers, Gender Rebels, and OtherWise in the National Transgender Discrimination Survey". Harvard Kennedy School's LGBTQ Policy Journal, 2,2012.
- Michael S. Irwig, Anton Trinidad & Matthew St Peter. "Self-Castration by a Transsexual Woman: Financial and Psychological Costs: A Case Report". Journal of Sexual Medicine, 9,4, 2012: 1216-9. Health care costs associated with treating a patient after self-castration were almost four times greater than having an elective outpatient surgical castration. The patient presented to the emergency department and underwent a bilateral inguinal exploration, ligation and removal of bilateral spermatic cords, and complicated scrotal exploration, debridement, and closure. She was admitted to the psychiatric service for a hospital stay of three days. The total bill was US $14,923, which would compare with US $4,000 for an elective outpatient orchiectomy in the patient's geographical area. Abstract.
- Worden wie je bent. about the situation of trans people in the Netherlands. Webpage.
- Eurobarometer found: only 8% of people in EU know a trans person personally and a striking 13% have no opinion on the prevalence of trans discrimination (compared with 8% for sexual orientation). In some countries up to a third would not know. 45% of people in the EU believe trans people are discriminated. The report points out that those knowing a trans person are much more likely to be aware of discrimination on grounds of gender identity.
Post a Comment
Comments that constitute non-relevant advertisements will be declined, as will those attempting to be rude. Comments from 'unknown' and anonymous will also be declined. Repeat: Comments from "unknown" will be declined, as will anonymous comments. You may type in a name if you don't have a Google id.