This is just some of what happened in 2013.
Part 1: Organizations & Activists, Equal marriage, Other Legislation.
Part 2: Persons.
Part 3: Spouses, lovers and Family, Trans Kids.
Part 4: Political, Celebrities, Sports.
Part 5: Schools, Universities & Colleges, Imprisonment,Nemeses, Internet.
Part 6: Doctors & Sexologists, Medicine, Genetics, Legal, Obituaries.
Part 7: Dress Reform, Cis Surgeries, Fashion, Beauty Pageants, Performance.
Part 8: Art, Television & Radio, Adverts, Theatre, Cinema.
Part 9: Jargon, News Media, Journal.
Part 10: Archives, Books.
Associated Press reminded its staff to use "husband" and "wife" without quotes only if couple is heterosexual.
Cisplaining: To explain, without ever having felt the necessity to investigate the issue, that there are only two genders which are fixed and invariable for every individual at birth.
Jack Molay's Creative Crossdreamer Vocabulary.
Truscum = FTM separatists (who incidentally embrace the term 'transgender')
Don Ennis, ABC News editor and producer, was Dawn for a while.
New Statesman Trans Issues Week.
The New York Times: Room for Debate: "Are ‘Trans Rights’ and ‘Gay Rights’ Still Allies?". www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/10/15/are-trans-rights-and-gay-rights-still-allies.
Magazines and newspapers:
- Erika L. Sanchez. "Transgender Latinos forge their own path, help others". NBCLatino, 01/04/2013. http://nbclatino.com/2013/01/04/transgender-latinos-forge-their-own-path-help-others.
- James & Evelyn Whitehead. "An epiphany of transgender lives reveals diversity in body of Christ". National Catholic Reporter, Jan 5, 2013. http://ncronline.org/news/people/epiphany-transgender-lives-reveals-diversity-body-christ.
- Charlie Hallam. "As the #transdocfail hashtag showed, many trans people are afraid of their doctors: Trans patients should not have to please medical staff before they can access treatment, writes Charlie Hallam.". New Statesman, 09 January 2013. www.newstatesman.com/lifestyle/2013/01/transdocfail-hashtag-showed-many-trans-people-are-afraid-their-doctors.
- Suzanne Moore. "I don't care if you were born a woman or became one". The Guardian, 9 January 2013. www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/09/dont-care-if-born-woman.
- Paris Lees, Jane Fae, CL Minou & Stuart Crawford. "Why I'm trans … and a feminist". The Guardian, 18 January 2013. www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/18/trans-feminist-panel.
- Rahila Gupta. "Transgender: the challenge to feminist politics ". 50.50 inclusive democracy, 16 April 2013. www.opendemocracy.net/5050/rahila-gupta/transgender-challenge-to-feminist-politics.
- Paul Grondahl. "Transgender people the focus: Health care providers holding event to urge shift in long-held views". The Times Union, April 25, 2013. www.timesunion.com/local/article/Transgender-people-the-focus-4464899.php.
- Crystal Cheatham. "Increasing Transgender Acceptance One Family at a Time". Huffington Post, 05/28/2013. www.huffingtonpost.com/crystal-cheatham/increasing-transgender-acceptance-one-family-at-a-time_b_3325235.html.
- Anne Hendershott. "The Transgender Culture Wars". The Catholic World, August 27, 2013. http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/2527/the_transgender_culture_wars.aspx.
- Joe McCormack. "Op-ed: What's Wrong With Executive Recruiters?: An executive recruiter argues that education and protections are essential to combating discrimination against transgender people in the hiring process. ". The Advocate, August 22 2013. www.advocate.com/commentary/2013/08/22/op-ed-whats-wrong-executive-recruiters.
- Ruth Tam. "Use of preferred gender pronouns indicates expanding acceptance of transgender people". Washington Post, September 5 2013. http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/use-of-preferred-gender-pronouns-indicates-expanding-acceptance-of-transgender-people/2013/09/05/25ffdb7e-1595-11e3-804b-d3a1a3a18f2c_story.html.
- Roey Thorpe. "Where have all the Butches Gone?". She Wired, 2013-09-05. http://www.shewired.com/lifestyle/2013/09/05/op-ed-where-have-all-butches-gone.
- Tony Merevick. "Report Details Discrimination Faced By Undocumented Transgender Immigrants". Buzzfeed, October 4, 2013. www.buzzfeed.com/tonymerevick/undocumented-transgender-immigrants-face-violence-and-discri.
- Jordan Flaherty. "Are police profiling transgender Americans?". Aljazeera America, Oct 16 2013. http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/america-tonight-blog/2013/10/16/rise-in-transgenderharassmentviolencebypolicelinkedtoprofiling.html.
Bandung. Yuli Krisna. "How Bandung’s Transgender Community Is Taking on HIV/AIDs One Test at a Time". Jakarta Globe, October 11, 2013. www.thejakartaglobe.com/features/how-bandungs-transgender-community-is-taking-on-hivaids-one-test-at-a-time.
Bangalore: Sangeetha Neeraja. "Transgender-men yet to break free" The New Indian Express, 25th Februray 2013. http://newindianexpress.com/cities/bangalore/article1477941.ece.
Canberra. Phillip Thomson. "Trans sex workers: Hankering to cross the divide". The Canberra Times, September 15, 2013. www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/trans-sex-workers-hankering-to-cross-the-divide-20130914-2trwr.html.
Ecuador. Rochelle Jones. "The Word on Women - Transgender Rights in Ecuador: A Legal, Spatial, Political and Cultural Acquittal". UpsideDownWorld, 08 January 2013. http://upsidedownworld.org/main/ecuador-archives-49/4059-the-word-on-women-transgender-rights-in-ecuador-a-legal-spatial-political-and-cultural-acquittal.
Gulf States. Saeed Kamali Dehghan. "Gulf countries consider medical checks to bar transgender expats. Kuwait proposal aimed at preventing transgender migrant workers from entering six-member Gulf Co-operation Council countries criticised as 'immoral' ". The Guardian, 11 October 2013. www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/11/gulf-countries-medical-checks-transgender-expats.
Hokkaido, Japan. Adam Westlake. "1 in 2,800 of Sapporo residents struggle with gender identity disorder". Japan Daily Press, Apr 22, 2013. http://japandailypress.com/1-in-2800-of-sapporo-residents-struggle-with-gender-identity-disorder-2227407.
Hong Kong: Lana Lam. "Sex change patients getting younger, and are more likely to be women: Doctor says information age has encouraged people to seek surgery at an earlier age, and women seeking to become men are in majority". South China Morning Post, Nov 3, 2013. http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1120895/sex-change-patients-getting-younger-and-are-more-likely-be-women.
India. Ekatha Ann John. "Govt delays sex change surgeries". The Times of India, Mar 20, 2013. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-03-20/chennai/37871550_1_surgeries-govt-delays-quack.
Jackson Heights, New York: Chadwick Moore. "Paradise Nights". Out, 5.15.2013. www.out.com/news-opinion/2013/05/15/jackson-heights-queens-transgender-immigrant?page=0,0.
Juchitan, Oaxaca. Helen Pow. "The Muxes of Mexico: Inside the community where cross-dressing has been accepted since the time of the Aztecs". Daily Mail, 20 September 2013. www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2426141/Nicola-kin-Frioli-Inside-Mexican-community-cross-dressing-accepted-time-Aztecs.html.
Kuwait. Belkis Wille. "Being Transgender in Kuwait: 'My Biggest Fear Is a Flat Tire'". Human Rights Watch, July 15, 2013. www.hrw.org/news/2013/07/15/being-transgender-kuwait-my-biggest-fear-flat-tire.
Madura. D. Karthikeyan. "Real change comes only when our family accepts us: transgender". The Hindu, August 11, 2013. www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Madurai/real-change-comes-only-when-our-family-accepts-us-transgender/article5012026.ece.
Mexico. Amy Lieberman. "". The Atlantic, Jul 18 2013.Gay and Transgender Migrants Face Staggering Violence in Mexico: LGBTQ people endure a treacherous journey on the way to a better life. www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/07/gay-and-transgender-migrants-face-staggering-violence-in-mexico/277915.
New York: Emily Gogalak. "Profiled by NYPD, Transgendered People in New York Fear Carrying Condoms". The Village Voice, Mar 7 2013. http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2013/03/transgendered_condoms.php.
Bahawalpur, Pakistan: Amna Nasir. "The tale of transgender people: When hate starts ruining lives". The Express Tribune, February 25, 2013. http://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/15948/the-tale-of-transgender-people-when-hate-starts-ruining-lives.
Pakistan. Majeed Baber & Ron Synovitz. "Despite Gains, Pakistan's Transgender Community Under Attack". Radio Free Europe, October 26, 2013. http://www.rferl.org/content/pakistan-transgender-eunuchs/25148690.html.
Seattle. Lornet Turnbull. "Overshadowed by gay and lesbian compatriots, the transgender community is fighting for acceptance". Las Vegas Sun, July 1, 2013. www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/jul/01/overshadowed-their-gay-and-lesbian-compatriots-tra.
Vietnam: Jonathan DeHart. "Thai Transgender Community Finds its Voice". The Diplomat, Februray 20, 2013. http://thediplomat.com/sport-culture/2013/02/20/thai-transgender-community-finds-its-voice.
US Military. Adam Klasfeld & Brett Brownell. "The Pentagon's Transgender Problem: New studies suggest that transgender civilians are twice as likely to enlist, and that suicidal behavior is 20 times more prevalent in transgender vets.". Mother Jones, Aug 15, 2013. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/08/transgender-troops-twice-likely-serve-twenty-times-likely-commit-suicide.
Washington DC. John Riley. "D.C. Hit with Anti-LGBT Attacks: Community shaken as summer starts with six assaults, one fatal". Metro Weekly, July 1, 2013. www.metroweekly.com/news/?ak=8446.
- TSQ: Transgender Studies Quarterly. Announced to be edited by Susan Stryker and Paisley Currah.